Thursday, 11 May 2017

Birding before photography


The urge to photograph birds, or anything for that matter, seems to be waning at the moment so today I thought I'd have a little wander around and do some birding (shock, horror, end of the world etc). I'm not exactly known for birding, it's more something that seems to happen as I look for things to photograph but today I left the main camera kit alone and grabbed the bins, although I did take the small bridge camera just in case as the habits of a lifetime are not easy to totally break.

 As soon as I got to King Barrow Quarry it became grey and gloomy with misty murk threatening. Oh well, just carry on and hope it improves which it did after a short spell. This patch is quite good for butterflies but rather dismal for birds with today's species count reaching the dizzy heights of 7, yes 7 but as 1 of those was a Whitethroat it would be churlish to complain.





Then it was off to do the circuit of Reap Lane & Barleycrates Lane which produced 9 species, quite low for here but the stiff breeze probably meant that most of the small birds were keeping low in the bushes. It was a wonderful walk round though as I was serenaded by skylarks the whole way. A kestrel dropped down and perched on the barbed wire while it looked around for prey and as it was fairly close my natural instinct kicked in and I had to get a shot.





It's even possible that I may venture down to Radipole and Lodmoor RSPB reserves tomorrow for a little more birding but let's wait and see how things turn out.

2 comments:

  1. Keep your eye out for Hooded Crows, there's one been at Grove pigfarm today and another one with wierd wing patches a few days earlier over The Bill. Pretty damn unusual down there. I'm surrounded by them now but I haven't seen a Carrion Crow (or Magpie) since moving here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Seth.
      Funnily enough I did take a look there yesterday after hearing about them but couldn't find one although I did see someone on the hill with a better view angle and later one was reported from there. Just my luck, need to try again.

      Delete